What is it?As the name indicates, the App Store Description is an open text field in which you may enter the description of your mobile app as you would like for it to appear in the iTunes and Google Play app stores.
When a mobile user searches for your app in iTunes or Google Play, they land on an information page for your app containing your App Store Description as well as screenshots from your app. The description is your opportunity to introduce mobile users to your app, let them know what they can do with it, and entice them to download it.
Tips for Rocking the Description
Briefly describe what your app does in
the first 175 characters. Apple hides
the rest of it behind a "More" link.
- Capture their attention with the first two lines of text. The app information page in the iTunes app store displays 175 characters of the description with a "More" link to open the remaining text. So it's important that the opening of your description grabs the reader's attention and prompts them to tap the "More" link.
Summarize what your app does and why it's awesome in the first two lines. Use active verb phrases to help keep the text engaging. Craft this intro text to end mid-phrase so that it prompts the user to tap "More" to finish the sentence they are reading.
- Highlight key features. Mobile users read app descriptions to learn what the app will enable them to do before deciding whether or not to download it. Make a list of your app's most important and enticing features. Again, using active verb phrases will prompt the user to envision themselves using your app in the described manner. Be sure to highlight the unique nature of the content within your app.
This is also a great place to tell your potential app subscribers how you plan to use the Push Notification feature. What type of messaging will they receive if they opt-in to you receive these? How will these messages be useful for them? People tend to opt-in for push notes if they know in advance what types of messages they will receive.
- Keep it concise. While the app stores allow your description to be up to 4,000 characters in length, no one really wants to read that long of an app description. You should be able to inform the user about your app and compel them to download it with no more than 700 characters.
- Make it easy-to-read. Mobile users expect to be able to scan your description quickly and easily to ascertain what your app does. Avoid writing in paragraph format. Use bullets and line breaks to foster scanning the text.
- Include single-line excerpts from reviews. Once your app has received positive feedback from users, experts or media sources, add excerpts from these comments to your app description to bring in a bit of external validation.
- Update your app description on a regular basis. As the features, functionality and content in your app change, update the description to reflect the evolution of your app.
How to Create or Change the App Description
Regardless of whether your app is already established or if it is yet to be published, we encourage you to create your own app description:
- If you have not yet launched your mobile app, you will need to add the app description before your app may be published.
- If your app is already established, InstantEncore created an app description for you based on our template as well as the specific features you utilized within the mobile suite at the time of the app's launch. We ask that you review your app's current description in the app store and modify it to your satisfaction.
The App Store Description field is located in the Permanent Settings section of the Basic Settings page in the Mobile area of the administrative control panel.
- Log into your account and go to Mobile >> Basic Settings.
- Scroll down to find the field marked App Store Description.
- Simply add the description in the text box. It's that easy.
- If you are not sure what to write, click on the "see template" link in the paragraph under the text field, and a box containing text generated by our template will appear.
- You may copy text from this box and paste it into the App Store Description field, where you can then edit it as you like.
- If you are changing your App Store Description, please notify us at firstname.lastname@example.org as we will need to submit the change to Apple and Google Play for approval.
- Bear in mind that it can take up to 10 business days for the app store approval to be completed.